Pan-fried White Radish Cake
300g Chinese radish or Japanese daikon, grated
30g dried shrimp, rinse, soak and chop
2 dried shiitake mushrooms, rinse, soak and chop
80g Chinese sausage/ lup cheong, diced
1 scallion, chopped
180g rice flour
20g corn starch
dash of white pepper powder
- Add grated radish and water to a wok and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking for 10mins until liquid reduced to 3/4 cup, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Off the heat and leave to cool.
- Heat up a pan over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of oil. Add in shrimps, shiitake mushrooms and Chinese sausage to cook for about 5mins. Stir in chopped scallion and remove from heat to cool.
- Add in rice flour, corn starch, salt, sugar, and white pepper to mix well.
- Add cooked shrimp mixture with remaining oil in wok. Mix well and let it sit for about 15mins. Give a final stir and pour it into a greased loaf pan.
Steam over medium-high heat for 50mins. Remove and let it set for about 30mins.
- Once cooled, loosen the sides with a spatula and turn it out onto a cutting board. Cut into ½ inch slices.
- Heat up a few tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Fry radish cake slices on both sides until golden and crispy. Serve hot with oyster sauce.
text: 若昕 art direction: Kenz photo: Steven Soh